Date:      Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:00:05 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can not mount a large FAT32 filesystem

--0-1195320785-1127908805=:28097

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 September 2005 07:54 am, Bruce Evans wrote:
> %% >    da0: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0
>
> =3DI think this error message is only printed by 4.x.
>
> Yes, it was. I tried the same card on 4.x (i386) and 6.0 (amd64).

I verified that this error "can't happen" in combination with the other
errors, at least in my version of 5.2-CURRENT (which does disk open in
essentially the same way as 4.x).  When I forced it to happen, open
failed as expected for all devices on the disk, so the disk was not
readable by msdosfs, fdisk or disklabel.

> =3D Try reading slice s1 using dd. =A0I would expect this to fail
>
> Both
>
> =09dd bs=3D512 count=3D1024 if=3D/dev/da2s1 of=3D~mi/public_html/s1.begin=
ning.dd
> and
> =09dd bs=3D512 count=3D1024 if=3D/dev/da2 of=3D~mi/public_html/card.begin=
ning.dd

> worked fine. You can take a look at the results at
>
> =09http://aldan.algebra.com:8015/~mi/card.beginning.dd.bz2
> =09http://aldan.algebra.com:8015/~mi/s1.beginning.dd.bz2
>
> I'll try Peter's patch today...

That patch seems reasonable (except it is missing removal of dead/wrong
code in bootsect.h).  We got the excessive signature checking from
NetBSD, and NetBSD still has it in at least the 2005/01/09 version.

Signature checking or initialization is also broken for sector sizes of
other than 512.  newfs_msdosfs^H^H writes signatures at the end of the
sector, but msdosfs and fsck_msdosfs want them at the end of a 512-block.
The important signatures are the primary signature and the fsinfo signature=
=2E

Bruce
--0-1195320785-1127908805=:28097--