Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:55:21 +0100
From:      Lorenzo Perone <lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net>
To:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS

On 22.10.2008, at 17:38, Freddie Cash wrote:

> Personally, we use it in production for a remote backup box using
> ZFS and
> Rsync (64-bit FreeBSD 7-Stable from August, 2x dual-core Opteron
> 2200s, 8
> GB DDR2 RAM, 24x 500 GB SATA disks attached to two 3Ware 9650/9550
> controllers as single-disks).  Works beautifully, backing up 80
> FreeBSD
> and Debian Linux servers every night, creating snapshots with each
> run.
> Restoring files from an arbitrary day is as simple as navigating to
> the
> needed .zfs/snapshot/<snapname>/<path>/ and scping the file to
> wherever.
> And full system restores are as simple as "boot livecd, partition/
> format
> disks, run rsync".

So your system doesn't suffer panics and/or deadlocks, or you just
cope with them as "collateral damage" (which, admitted, is less of
a problem with a logging fs)?

If that's the case, would you share the details about what you're using
on that machine (RELENG_7?, 7_0? HEAD?) and which patches
/knobs You used? I have a similar setup on a host which
backs up way fewer machines and locks up every... 3-9 weeks or so.
That host only has about 2GB ram though.

Thanx and regards,

Lorenzo