Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:07:24 -0500
From:      Chris Corayer <CCorayer@adetech.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Question

|Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:31:36 -0600
|From: "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
|Subject: Kernel Question
|
|I just installed 4.5-Release and rebuilt my custom kernel.
|When checking dmesg and /var/log messages I noticed the errors (see at
|bottom of message):
|I noticed that /boot/kernel.conf had the following entries:
|
|   *SNIP*
|
|These devices do not exist on my system so I deleted the entries from
|kernel.conf and now the system boots up fine with no errors.
|
|I may have added these entries by accident during the install when I
|"deleted" the conflicting devices from the Kernel Configuration.

|What is the purpose of /boot/kernel.conf and should the file be empty or
|even exist?

This file is created when you first install FreeBSD.  This is where you do
all the kernel configuring at the very beginning.  Its purpose is to allow
the kernel to know what devices to skip loading so that it doesn't waste
time or get confused.  For the most part, once the kernel has been
recompiled it isn't really needed in my experience.  I've only had to add it
back in once.  My laptop will not use apm without enable apm in the
kernel.conf.  Other than that, I've never bothered to keep the file once I
recompiled.

-Regards

C. Corayer