Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 03:27:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A GUI administration tool for FreeBSD

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Mark Ovens wrote:

> 1. A third pane that has 2 columns; one showing the
>    dependencies of the selected package and the other
>    listing which other (installed) packages depend on
>    the selected one.

Good idea.  It's now on the TODO.

> 2. I like the feature of being able to copy the INDEX
>    file from the CD to the HD and browse it, however
>    there is a limitation here in that the packages are
>    split across 2 CDs, and they are a different 2 in
>    2.2.8 than in 2.2.7. When I go looking for a package
>    9 times out of 10 it's on the 2nd CD I look at. How
>    about being able to copy _both_ INDEX's to the HD &
>    call them INDEX.<CD number> and have the software
>    merge the 2 to give a unified list and somewhere in
>    the window display which CD the currently selected
>    package is on.

The 'package add' stuff was a quick hack that's barely functional.  It'll
get better soon.

> Finally one really minor gripe, but it would be nice if it were fixed.
> When the package manager window first opens you have to double-click
> on a line in the top pane to get the details displayed, after that
> single clicking works. Could this be easily fixed so that the first
> selection only requires a single click?

I can't reproduce this -- single clicking on any line brings up the
package description for me. Qt 1.41 has some known bugs with that
particular widget, but 1.42 went into the ports collection today, so give
it another try with the newer version and let me know if it still does it.

> Thanks for your efforts, and don't forget to let us know if/when new
> versions come out.

I'll be sure to post.  I'll also keep the web page updated regularly with
anticipated release dates of new snapshots until I get anoncvs up and
running once I find a home for my new server box.

On a related note, is there a better list for discussion/announcements of
FreeBSD-related software?  -chat was the closest thing I could find to
announce/discuss this in, but if there's a more appropriate place, I'll be
happy to move the thread.  If there isn't such a list, perhaps we should
have one... maybe call it "freebsd-software (Discussion and announcement
of third-party software for FreeBSD)"?

--
Brian Buchanan                                   brian@smarter.than.nu
                                                 brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU