Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:10:00 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@deepcore.dk>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_?=, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Schmidt?= <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help! My laptop drive may be dying.

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My laptop drive might be dying. It is a Samsung MP0804H which I have=20
> used for around 28 months without issue.
>
> Every now and then it will click and sound as though it is thermally=20
> recalibrating itself.
>
> I ran SMART diagnostics from smartmontools, and Samsung's own diag=20
> tools which all report the drive is OK (a full captive surface test).=20
> I see nothing untoward in the SMART info pages.
Well, sounds like the drive is indeed dying, recalibrating noises like=20
that is a bad sign, its most likely having real trouble reading certain=20
areas of the medium.

If your SMART output tells anything about read retries or number of=20
remaps that could be an indicator of upcoming problems, however not all=20
drives has that info in the SMART pages.

In the real world scenario SMART can only tell you about the problem=20
when the drive has given up on the data, there is almost newer any real=20
prewarns to failure.

> Whilst Windows is able to tolerate the retrying of ATA commands which=20
> this click appears to be inducing, FreeBSD can easily get sick and=20
> just hang, which majorly gets in the way of real work.
Depends on whats happening, you could try to up the timeout in=20
ata-disk.c and see if it survives the errors that way, to at least try=20
to save the data before its too late.

-S=F8ren