Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:02:40 -0700
From:      "Brad" <brad@perfectcircle.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Make Permission errors! Most odd.

I've been experiencing permission errors with make intermittently. It's =
happening with quite a few users on the box but it's just random. It's =
never a certain application or a certain user/group so it's been very =
hard to pinpoint what the problem is, hence why I'm posting here.

What is happening is basically a user will untar a file and type "make" =
after a ./configure and get "make: Permission denied". When I first =
encountered this I believe I chmod -R 777 * in the directory that the =
file was untared in and that worked for me, but for some of my users who =
are less experienced with freeBSD won't know how and don't know how to =
resolve this and it shouldn't be happening in the first place. Other =
users say they have gotten the error and simply logged out and back in =
and resolved it.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

-Brad