Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:54:26 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@iDaemons.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>, sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Qt2X business (KDE2, GL support and XFree86 4.0.2_2+ & xthreads)

--akYcMzKazd1veOsI

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 06:42:15AM +0900, Akinori MUSHA wrote:
> It's fine with me.  QGL support is no more important than shipping the
> 4.3-RELEASE with KDE2 packages included.

OK, but that doesn't tell me if you have problems using libqt2-mt with
your qtgl apps (I believe your ruby-qt mod or similar uses it).  I.e:
please test with substituting -lqt2 for -lqt2-mt and try out
functionality to ensure that it still works.  Probably going to need to
link your ruby-qt et al with -pthread etc.  But I wouldn't know.  This
is better tested by you (you can use either qt22 or qt23 port -- I
believe they both have -thread and no -no-opengl).

This whole thing needs a bsd.port.mk key-into to keep things from
becoming insane.  I'll probably have to write a bsd.qtkde.mk while
fixing this, and hopefully Satoshi can put Maxim's PTHREAD_CFLAGS &
PTHREAD_LIBS suggestion in bsd.port.mk.  *sigh*

> Now, let me ask you something: is the problem specific to FreeBSD, or
> moreover, is it specific to 4-STABLE?  I badly wish we could let all
> those thread weirdness disappear before 5.0-RELEASE.. ;)

I don't know at this point.  I want it working on RELENG_4 before ports
is frozen, I don't really care to waste my time on -CURRENT before then.

I've heard way too many conflicting stories about KDE2 working here and
not there, and seeing mostly the latter myself (I'm now at the stage of
banging my head against the wall and asking myself out loud how the hell
it worked in the first place...).

> I appreciate your continuous effort on Qt & KDE ports! :)

*sigh*  ;)

--=20
wca

--akYcMzKazd1veOsI