Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:43:15 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        ache@nagual.pp.ru, ru@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: color, again, in grotty

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> My big problem with SGR is that all the other utilities in the chain
> don't grok it.  When they do, and if they do the right thing, then
> maybe we can revisit this.  Right now more does the wrong thing, for
> example, out of the box.

My big problem is that "_^H<ch>" for an underlined character <ch>
trigraph, whereas an SGR escape sequence is an SGR escape sequence,
and not a trigraph.

> Also, we need to be careful not to break other people's uses of it.

Escape sequences break things; trigraphs selected for their failure
modes ability to display readable data do not.

> So I think that we're all in agreement: don't generate the SGR
> sequences at this time unless specifically commanded to (either by an
> option on the command line, or a different command).

I would go further, and say that it was the job of the pager to
do this, no matter what, since you cannot provide escape sequence
input to a pager which is not also a terminal emulator, and expect
to get reasonable output.

If the pager *is* a terminal emulator, then it must emulate a
mutually agreed upon terminal, in which case output for some
other terminal type, run through a pager, is broken.

Specifically, what about:

	grotty | more | more

on a Televideo terminal?  While not quite reasonable to pipe more
to more (those generally less reasonable to pipe grotty to more in
the first place), you're breaking something that used to work.

-- Terry