Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:01:06 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading pains.

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Darren Reed wrote:

> /var/* appears to be nuked whilst /usr and friends survive.  (Either that
> or I did select "Y" for NEWFS which I don't recall doing).

I'm pretty sure you must have done this..I haven't seen this myself or heard
it from others. If you remove and then add partitions from the editor, ISTR it
defaults to NEWFS=Y..perhaps this was it.

> This prevents a meaningful attempt to upgrade packages, which should be
> easily possible with a perl script of sorts, along with losing logs, etc.
>
> btw, has anyone got a perl script to upgrade all the install packages
> in /var/db/pkg ?

/usr/ports/sysutils/pkg_version will tell you which ones are out of date for
you to upgrade by hand..

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.