Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:13:09 -0500
From:      Jud <Jud@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        simond@irrelevant.org
Subject:   Newbie - Atkbd0 Not Recognized After Cvsup to 4.1-STABLE (was Problems with installing 4.1-RELEASE)

I've just had precisely the same experience Simon Dick describes below (in his
September 2 message to freebsd-stable) after I upgraded with cvsup from
4.1-RELEASE to 4.1-STABLE.  Interesting bit is that after I unloaded kernel
and successfully booted kernel.GENERIC, I tried compiling and installing the
GENERIC kernel as MYKERNEL, but got exactly the same result - normal boot gave
the "attach returned 6" message and hung a few lines later, while booting
kernel.GENERIC worked.

I'm a newbie, having just installed FreeBSD as my first Unix about 5 weeks
ago.  I'd very much appreciate help with the answers to 2 questions (and of
course suggestions as to additional information I can provide):

1. What's the meaning of/reason for "flags 0x1?"

2. What should I do to avoid this particular problem in the future?

Thanks,

Jud

Hiya, is there any reason why "flags 0x1" got added to the atkbd0 line
somewhere between 4.0 and 4.1? I'm asking as when I was trying to install
4.1-RELEASE it wasn't recognising the keyboard, installing with 4.0-RELEASE
worked, after which I tried cvsuping to 4.1-STABLE which still didn't work.

After some fiddling I found that it was the flags 0x1 part of atkbd0 which
was stopping it working and so just recompiled a new kernel and it worked.

Here's the error I found in the logs:
Sep  2 20:11:04 adsl /kernel: atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port
0x60,0x64 on isa0
Sep  2 20:11:04 adsl /kernel: atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
Sep  2 20:11:04 adsl /kernel: device_probe_and_attach: atkbd0 attach returned
6

I'm running a Duron 650 on an Asus A7V motherboard if that's any use.

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org