Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:10:44 -0600
From:      Aaron J Siegel <Aaron.Siegel@attbi.com>
To:        Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem on installing FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE

>Your root is very large. Could you try making it so that:
>/ = 128M
>swap
>/var = 256M
>/tmp = 256M
>/usr every thing else
>and see what happens.
>
>Pressing the a(uto) key during the label process will do this for you.

I do not believe yyzox problem is not from the size of his/her root partion,  you can have it take up the enitire hard drive if you would like. Have seprate partion for each filesystem (/, /usr, /home, /var and ,/tmp) is not necessary, it just protection mechinism to portect so if a heavly partition  goes down everything it doesn't kill the system.

yyzox
I do not know what the problem is nor how to fix it.  Sorry I couldn't help. Can you boot into single user mode and run, fsck  on the disk?

Good luck