Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:42:36 -0000
From:      "Bruno Miguel" <brunomiguel@netcabo.pt>
To:        "'FreeBSD Stable '" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFilter...

> Still reading on this ipfilter for use with ppp0.  I made a set of rules
> andd tested them out with ipftest and it just hung there.  in controlled c
> out of it no problem.  Whatever.

what ipfilter are you using on which version of FreeBSD ?
kernel, module ?

> I am cinfused  as to what i should use for my ip on a dynamic ppp
> connection.  This is really starting to get agravating.    should the first line
> of a  set of rules be
>
> map ppp0 0/0 -> 0/32      ??

map ppp0 192.168.0.0/24 -> 0/32 for example. you can't redirect from
everywhere to your ppp0. :-)
192.x, or any other subnet being your internal network.

> if i added this then i would need to have natd  running?  If i have natd
> running i need to use something -dynamic in my rc.conf as well ?

no. Either ipnat or natd.

> i'm about to give up here pretty much wasted all day at work searching for
> just ONE set of examples which included  device ppp0,   a dynamic dialup
> connection, and the use of 0/32.  I don't know where these people are

Did you read ipfilter how-to ?

> getting these ip addresses on dynamic connections to put them in their
> rulesets.  do they just make up the internal ip address?

No, they use addresses specifically designed for internal networks.

   ...:-=>> The freaking Mail Band <<=-:...
            brunomiguel@netcabo.pt
          D.E.Q. @ I.S.T. - Portugal