Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:28:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <keith@mail.telestream.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   arp errors

I have a machine setup and on the net. It has 20 aliases on the NIC and
all seems to be just fine with one exception. It would not come up on the
net without having routed running. I've never had a problem in the past
with just configuring rc.conf and putting a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
for the aliases so this is a source of major confussion for me.
The aliases aren't really at issue because it would not even come up live
without the aliases there.
Here is how things are setup now.

FreeBSD 4.0-Stable

/etc/rc.conf
ifconfig_xl0="inet 63.169.99.87 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="63.169.99.1"
network_interfaces="xl0 lo0"
hostname="bsd.mcfarlandis.com"

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ifconfig-up.sh
/sbin/ifconfig xl0 inet 63.169.99.15 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

With a bunch of the same lines in the script for each alias.
At the end of the script I tossed in routed.
/sbin/routed

Thanks for any pointers.

Keith

Keith W.