Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 09:04:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@piro.net>
To:        Jan Sparud <jan@sparud.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sigh, I'm caught by the LCP loop bug...

Hi Jan,

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Jan Sparud wrote:

> Last week I suddenly got caught by the infamous LCP loop bug.
> It appeared all of a sudden; I hadn't done any changes, nor had the
> ISP at work. After figuring out that I had the same problem as some
> others have had, I applied the patch that Marc van Woerkom
> <van.woerkom@netcologne.de> posted to the list (subject: "Infinite
> loop (sppp/lcp)").

First of all, welcome to the club!  :)  Although Marc's patch might work,
I wouldn't use it on production boxes (like for the ten colleagues you
mentioned), because this breaks all PPP state machines -- not just LCP,
but IPCP as well.

This needs to be fixed.  (As far as I know, there is no PR for this.)

After I get my FreeBSD system at home going again (at most a month), I
plan to attack this.  If you are interested in looking through some code
(mostly comparing -stable with 0.71) send me an email and we can get
something coordinated (divide and conquer!)

Until then, if you can take it, go back to 0.71.  :(

-Paul.

PIRONET AG
Paul Herman - Consultant - SBU Providing
Im Mediapark 5 - 50670 Cologne - Germany
Tel.: +49 (0)221 454 3832 - Fax: +49 (0)221 454 3810
mailto:pherman@piro.net - http://www.piro.net/