Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 12:45:55 -0400
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.2 oddness on NLX w/ slim CD-ROM drive

I am dealing with an ASUS NLX (Pentium III) motherboard
in an NLX case that houses a "slim CD-ROM" (which looks
like a laptop-based CD-ROM drive).  Disk one from the 4.2
distribution loads just fine and I complete all the steps
in sysinstall up to the "Media" selection screen.

When I select "CD-ROM", it reverts back to the previous
menu.  In fact, hitting the space bar will bounce back
and forth from the "Media" selection (on the installation
menu) to the "CD-ROM" selection (on the media menu), sigh...

What confuses me is that the CD-ROM loads just fine, in
that the generic kernel boots up and even states "ATAPI
CD-ROM loading..." or something like that (from memory)
prior to device discovery.

If the BIOS can load the mini/generic kernel and later
hand off to sysinstall, then why doesn't the process
continue (and read all my 4.2 install choices from the
same CD-ROM)?  What am I missing here?

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: web@merit.edu
Merit Network Inc.                 Ann Arbor, Michigan