Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:56:43 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Mark Haney <haney01@email.franklin.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Typical times installing from ports via 56k modem?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 11:16:13AM -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to FreeBSD, choosing it about two months ago as my first venture into
> the open-source OS world. I installed 4.6.0 from CD, and have updated to 4.7
> RELEASE via CVSUP. I also updated my ports collection from CVSUP, but haven't
> upgraded any of my installed ports yet.
>
> It took about 1.5 hrs for the CVSUP from 4.6.0 to 4.7, and another 2 hours for
> the build (on a P3-500 with 128MB RAM).
>
> My question is... Is it realistic to upgrade via ports with a 56K modem? I tried
> installing a few small things via ports, and it worked well, but I'm wondering
> how long it will take to download and build things like the XFree86, or GNOME.
> Do these things take days, or might I be able to accomplish it overnight?

It is quite realistic.  A back-of-the-envelope calculation indicates
that downloading the distfile for XFree86-4 over a 56K modem should
take something like 3 hours.  Buildtime for you is probably somewhat
less than that.  I believe GNOME is of similar size.
So you will most likely be able to do it overnight.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson