Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:25:54 +0000
From:      Jim Bow <jimbow@darq.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mail from: field question

Hi all,

I have a small shell script that does a backup to a usb drive and emails
the results to a set of people. The script is triggered from devd (upon
drive attachment) and runs as root.

The problem is that the mail report is sent from an active system user
and not user root. The user the mail is sent from is not referenced in
the script. The mail line looks like this:

    cat $LOGFILE | mail -s "backuptousb report" recipient@one.net

I find this rather confusing since I was expecting the email to be sent
by the user running the script. How can this be?

A little research told me that this may be because of something called
envelope-from, but I found little explanation of what that actually
means. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

JimBow