Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:22:40 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems replacing failing drive in ZFS pool

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net> wrote:
> Two things:
>
> -What's the preferred labelling method for disks that will be used with z=
fs
> these days? =C2=A0geom_label or gpt labels? =C2=A0I've been using the lat=
ter and I
> find them a little simpler.

If the disks will only be used in FreeBSD systems, and you are using
the entire disk for ZFS (no partitioning), then glabel works well, and
is the easiest to use.

If you want to be able to move the disks between FreeBSD, OpenSolaris,
Solaris, ZFS-FUSE on Linux, etc, then you need to use GPT labels.
glabel is not portable.  I have not used gpart, so don't know if you
can label the disk or just partitions on the disk.

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com