Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:39:24 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail default permissions??

<<On Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:18:27 -0700 (MST), Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> said:

> How does this API enforce RFC compliant message formats better than
> or equvalent to enforcement by any potential replacement API?

It doesn't, and it shouldn't.  Internet mail standards are based on
text manipulation for a very good reason (indeed, several).  Of
course, this is completely irrelevant to the original topic of
discussion, since there is no STD specifying From_ mailbox format (or,
for that matter, any mailbox format).

> In code whose intent is to performs identical function but which is
> yet unshared between these applications, needlessly duplicating
> massive amounts of programming effort?

Well, if you can design an API that works equally well in C, Tk/Tcl,
and Emacs Lisp, I'll certainly congratulate you... on a marvelous
exercise in pointlessness.  There is a standard (well, Proposed
Standard) mailbox-access API, called IMAP, and I don't exactly see it
as a roaring success.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.