Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:16:29 -0700
From:      "Brian M. Kincaid" <bmk@adsl-64-174-159-18.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USE_GCC=3.1 in Ports

Hello,

The problem you describe has not come up on my system. I have attempted to
build the openoffice port several times, and the only combination that works
for me is to force USE_GCC=3.1 in the makefile for openoffice and to install
the rtld patch.

Whether or not gcc31 has been built, the openoffice build works properly.

Brian

In message <20020628111102.GA81764@e-Gitt.NET>, Oliver Brandmueller writes:
>Hello,
>
>this should mostly apply to the maintainer of the gcc31 port, but it
>will most likely be the case when people try the same I did:
>
>I wanted to make openoffice with USE_GCC=3.1 - it had a dependency on
>gcc31 then and started the install. USE_GCC=3.1 was passed to the make
>of gcc31 - so it depended on itself and fell into an endless recursion
>(which I could hardly stop when the machine had load of 913! :-)).
>
>Maybe the gcc31 port should have something in the makefile to stop the
>dependy on itself or the openoffice port should at least not pass the
>setting or stop with a notice, when trying to build with USE_GCC=3.1
>while it is not installed.
>
>I do now install the gcc 3.1 first and the restart the OpenOffice build,
>so I don't have any problems, you got to solve (sure you guys have
>enough to do). But take it as a suggestion to prevent problems at other
>places.
>

>Thanx, Oliver
>

>--
>| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
>| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |
>|               Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe.               |
>| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung aller enthaltenen Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |

Brian M. Kincaid
PGP Key: http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x33656401