Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:50:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        arthur@tucows.com, nick.hibma@jrc.it
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with the sound card.

> Could you send the output of dmesg. It could be that your BIOS has
> rearranged the irq settings and has put another card on that IRQ. Is the
> sound card PNP? If not, could you check that the card's IRQ is marked as
> legacy in the BIOS?
>
> Nick
>
>  > My sound card used to work, and with a backup kernel it still did ( I lost
>  > it ) but after doing a make update world yesturday I came to the
>  > realization that it no longer works.  Did someone break the sb drivers?  I
>  > get a drq / irq conflict error, but they are set to the sound card's
>  > settings.
>  >
>  > Arthur H. Johnson II
>  > http://www.linuxberg.com
>  > Linuxberg Manager
>  > arthur@tucows.com
>  >

I too have problems with my on board CS4236 sound chip and it is of a very
strange nature: in the new isa pnp code, function isa_assign_resources()
mysteriously overwrites the isa_device structure and sets logical_id to 0,
and as a result subsequent probe would not recognize it any more. I have
narrowed it down to the bus_release_resource() call at the end of
isa_find_irq(). It was so convoluted beyond that point and I gave up.
I'd like to see someone more familiar with the code to continue.

-lq