Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 02:36:31 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: conf/10715: Console font loading problem at boot time

"Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:

> > Yeah, sure. But PC architecture only has extra scan lines for
> > characters 208 through 211 (or similar range, I don't quite recall).
> > Using any others for the mouse pointer results in an ugly mouse
> > pointer. This is actually an available option, as Yokota-san has
> > mentioned, and is probably mentioned in the LINT.
>
> Is there a way to embed in the font an indication of which character
> cells to use for the mouse pointer?  If you make the information 'optional'
> we would only need to update the fonts that have useful characters in
> the default mouse pointer location.  This seems like a more general
> configuration strategy instead of hard coding the location in the kernel
> for all fonts.

It's also more irritating. Every font with the possible exception of
DOS CPs use these characters, that I know of. The famous and widely
used latin1 does. Whether the trade off is acceptable or not varies
a lot.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Someone's trying to hack into our server."
	"Wow... How flattering!"
	"I know. There must be some mistake."