Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:01:13 +0800 (SST)
From:      Gong Wei <eng30219@leonis.nus.sg>
To:        John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 16 bpp X server?

Hi all of you there:

Thanks for all the replys, although the problem is not solved yet.:-(  But
this again shows there many warm-heart people on the net.:-)

Ok, seems I did not state my problem clearly in previous posting.  Sorry
for that.

Based on what I've learn from readme.cirrus, clgd 5434 with 1M video-ram,
8M RAM should be able to display in 16 bpp mode.  I've tried "startx --
-bpp 16" as well as "X -bpp 16", both fails.  No, I do not mean the
server cannot start, actually the server(graphics screen) did start.
People can see the graphics screen, but it keeps flashing, and some part
of the screen are duplicated(when I try startx -- -bpp16, I am using
fvwm2.0).  Some time, even worse, you can see some "colorful" lines keep
flashing on the top part of the screen.

I've enabled the "option linear" in the config file, but don't know what
is the membase.  There is not separate video card on my system.  So I
don't know whether it is connected on pci or isa.  But during system
bootup, a line like this appears:
	"vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 142 int a irq 11 on pci0:8"

Any info I've missed?  Please email to me.  thanks!

Regards
Gong Wei
eng30219@nus.sg