Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:13:06 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting off Large Drives

Hi,

I have an oldish machine and just got it a new HD. I put the new drive in
and fdisk/disklabel/newfsed from my existing drive. I then installed world
onto it.

Problem is I can't boot from it. I have swapped cables over so it is now
master on the primary controller. The machine tries to boot but only gets
as far as the boot manager (I have partitioned so I can install -CURRENT
when I get a chance). At this point it freezes (it sees the paritions
however).

If I boot off a floppy I can tell the loader to load the kernel from the
drive and everything comes up fine but obviously this isn't ideal.

So does anyone know if this is a BIOS limitation or if I've just screwed
up? The drive in question is ~40GB (ATA) and the machine is a P100 so you
can guess the age. It boots find off an 8GB drive.

Any workarounds (apart from a floppy disk)?

Thanks,

Andrew