Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:05:15 -0400
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@dlee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Empty AUTH=<> in SMTP from Mutt message causing refused mail

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:40:39PM -0500, Gary wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 01:08:15PM -0400 or thereabouts, Doug Lee wrote:

> > > The above in your .muttrc file would set your envelope sender to the
> > > above address.
> > >
> > > last thought, do you have a from address in your .muttrc file?
> > >
> > > my_hdr From: Doug <lee@bart.bartsite.com>
>
> > No, but as I said in my last message, I tested the whole .muttrc
> > possibility just now by disabling (renaming) my .muttrc and running
> > Mutt afresh without a .muttrc in effect at all.  Same error.
>
> testing or disabling your .muttrc is absolutely meaningless to me since I
> am not privy if the above lines are included in there to begin with, which
> is why I suggested this first line approach to begin with.  Your lack of
> info caused me to speculate.

Lack of info admitted; I was initially not sure what info would be
required.  I sorta started out asking how Mutt could affect the
contents of a From: line in an SMTP stream (beyond the address on that
line, that is) and ended up (in my latest message) covering the whole
three-element situation.  Sorry for any confusion.

These are the lines that look potentially relevant from my .muttrc:

set edit_hdrs			# let me edit the message header when composing
set editor="vi '+/^$/'" # start below header
set hdrs			# include `my_hdr' lines in outgoing messages
set noheader			# include message header when replying
set from="dgl@dlee.org"
set realname="Doug Lee"
set use_from			# always generate the `From:' header field
set noreverse_realname # Override the real name with the realname variable
set dsn_notify='failure,delay'	# when to return an error message
set dsn_return=hdrs		# what to return in the error message
my_hdr Organization: Bartimaeus Group

I don't remember which of these (if any) is just reestablishing
default behavior, but these lines were not in effect during the
.muttrcless test.

> > By now I'm fairly sure this is related to my having started to set up
> > SMTP authorization on both FreeBSD systems.  This doesn't explain,
> > though, why only Mutt-generated mail is affected, particularly with no
> > .muttrc in effect.  Pine mail sends out fine to this site.
>
> this is the first time you mentioned that you have previously set up, or
> attempted to set up SMTP auth.
>
> > So I see it as a three-pronged problem:  (1) WebShield refuses From:
> > lines containing "AUTH=<>", and WebShield just went into effect at the
> > destination site; (2) my SMTP installation probably sometimes sends
> > the "AUTH=<>" line because I started configuring that a while back
> > (months ago); and (3) Mutt and somehow ONLY Mutt triggers the sending
> > of the "AUTH=<>" on From: lines.
>
> why is your auth sending a null value? Webshield could be hanging on this,

My first question exactly. :-)

Thanks much for your help so far.

--
Doug Lee           dgl@dlee.org        http://www.dlee.org