Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 15:03:08 -0700
From:      <jesse@clatsopwebdesign.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD's method of displaying ram usage in top

In Linux when I run top I get something like this for memory usage:

Mem:  1020344K av,  901388K used,  118956K free,    1348K shrd,  229732K
buff

Now on a FreeBSD box with a much smaller traffic load and much faster
hardware (which should thus have more RAM free) I get this response
under top:

Mem: 191M Active, 583M Inact, 191M Wired, 31M Cache, 112M Buf, 5952K
Free

Now what  does the FreeBSD version of top mean by inactive memory? This
has

Also is there a way to track how much ram is allocated to what in order
to see where my memory is being used up at?

I've been reading through man top and man 4 mem etc. but I am still
confused as to what FreeBSD means by inactive memory and why there's
less memory available on the FreeBSD machine when FreeBSD seems to be so
much more scalable than Linux.

Thank you very much for any help or pointers you are able to provide me
with,
Jesse