Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:36:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        eischen@vigrid.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@FreeBSD.ORG, lists@tar.com
Subject:   Re: Thread locking (was Re: cvs commit: src/include pthread.h src/lib/libc_r/uthread uthread_mattr_kind_np.c uthread_mutex.c)

> > The threads library is not fully POSIX compliant yet and has to
> > change if it wants to achieve that.  POSIX says that we return
> > EDEADLK if we detect this condition (which we can and already do).
> > Do we care more about backwards compatibility or more about POSIX
> > compliance?  I vote for strong and strict POSIX compliance (if my
> > vote counts at all ;-).
>
> I'm in two minds about it.  I don't like breaking compatibility, and I
> don't like not being conformant, and it really comes down to each
> individual case.  The behaviour we have now seems to be conformant to
> SS2, at least, which IMO is more important than POSIX.  I'm not the
> maintainer, anyway, so I don't consider it within my authority to
> break backwards compatibility.

I would really prefer that compliance tags were placed on code
in the source tree.

Specifically, a pthreads that is Draft 4 complinat is a hell of a
lot more useful to me than a pthreads that is "almost" Draft 10
(standard) compliant.

As far as breaking compatability, nothing breaks more code than
making a release that's in some twilight zone between two levels
of standards compliance.

I think POSIX, in general, and the O'Reilly book, in specific, are
the most important rulers.  Code that doesn't conform to those
documents will need to be changed in any case.

The only rendesvous point that independent developement efforts
like Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris have in common is the published
standards, for better or for worse.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---