Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 2010 09:22:31 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: csup vs cvs

doug@safeport.com writes:

> Yesterday I was updating an 8.0 stable system to pick up a change I
> specifically needed. The change was MFC'd Apr 4th at 11:38. I waited
> until about 8PM and ran cvs from cvsup2.FreeBSD.org. When the change
> was not there, I waited until Apr 5th, a bit after midnight. When I
> still did not pick up the change, I updated from a cvs repository.
>
> My question is how are the mirrors updated (cvsup2 specifically I
> guess). In general is using csup and cvs equivalent processes for non
> developers?.

Your message doesn't really make sense to me; I suspect you're confusing
cvs with cvsup, but I'm not sure.  cvsup and csup are different
implementations of the same functionality, and connect to the same
servers, so they really won't be different (they are, in fact,
interchangeable).  Anonymous CVS access is not widely used, and is
really recommended only for experts.  Different hubs update on different
schedules, but official ones are recommended to update hourly.

Development actually occurs in the subversion (a.k.a. svn) repository
these days, from which it is automatically exported to the cvs
repository (which is also the source for cvsup servers data).  I'm not
aware of non-developer direct access to the svn tree, nor do I know much
about how the subversion data gets merged to cvs.

I've used different cvsup servers over the years, but I've rarely
noticed an update taking more than an hour after it hit cvsweb.  If
you're wondering about a particular hub, you could track down its
manager and ask.  I remember that being public information, but I can't
seem to find it at the moment.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/