Date:      Sun, 09 Nov 1997 23:50:35 +0000
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
To:        baloandr@cwis.isu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing ports

Andras Balogh wrote:

> I have a PC with Win95 + newly installed "minimal" FreeBSD.
> I still do not have internet connection from under FreeBSD,
> but somehow I managed to download the ports.tgz file from under Win95
> and copy it under FreeBSD.
> For the ports the regular "make install" procedure does not work
> anymore, because
> I uncompressed and "un-tared" the whole thing.
>
> Could anyone tell me if I can still continue with the installation of
> ports,
> or do I have to start from the tgz file again?

  I can't uderstood you problem.

  do you have /usr/ports directory structure on you FreeBSD ?

 if yes, all must work.
 if yes, but it not working --- you ports.tgz was corrupted.
 if not, or if you don't know how untar all ports:

     cd /usr/
     tar -tzs ports.tgz
      (check, if you have ports/category/prog/Makefile ... )
     cd to apropriative place.
     tar -xzf ports.tgz.