Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:22:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   what shall we do about Enlightenment...

I notice that the Enlightement port is marked BROKEN, because the distfile
no longer exists on the MASTER_SITE.

I'd really like to fix this ASAP, if at all possible before the release of
2.2.7.

you might be asking "why bother?  why not just mark it broken and wait for
the next version to finalize?"  here's why I thijnk we shouldn't.

1.  enlightenment DR (developers) releases are changing pretty much on
    a daily basis.  remember the hassles when lynx went through flux a
    while ago?  it would be reeally nice if we could have something that
    works right now.
2.  (IMHO the most important reason for fixing this) The X contest
    specifically lists Enlightement as a supported app.
    Having a compileable/installable enlightenment port/package would
    probably be a good thing.  (The deadline is coming up awfully fast...)
2.  The more working ports in 2.2.7, the better.

anyway, through my ingenuity and the careful use of search engines, I've
found a new distsite for enlightenment.  So i sent a patched makefile to
the enlightement port maintainer (vanilla@freebsd.org).  I sent another
copy about a week later, since I didn't et any response.  I also, for
good measure, submitted a PR on this (see PR ports/7274).

Still there has been No response.

so what should I do?  I did my best to contact the maintainer, and have
not heard back from him.  Since it is a fairly trivial fix, should I go
ahead and commit it?

Opinions greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
---
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.