Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 23:29:07 -0500
From:      Redmond Militante <r-militante@northwestern.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem installing mysql323-server from ports

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

hi all

i'm getting an error whenever i try to install mysql323-server from ports.

 install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 ./binary-configure /usr/local/share/mys=
ql/binary-configure
=3D=3D=3D>   Generating temporary packing list
/usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db
Sorry, the host 'fisk246150' could not be looked up.
Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
the --force option
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server.

this is telling me that my /etc/hosts is wrong.  i type 'hostname' and i ge=
t the correct hostname.  the first 2 lines in my /etc/hosts is

::1 localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain

i did an nslookup on myself and it gives me the right hostname.

i looked up this error on the internet - apparently other people have gotte=
n this error as well. =20

I did "make" and then "make install" for the mysql323-server port, and once=
 the program reaches the point where mysql_install_db wants to lookup the h=
ostname it errors and stops saying that the hostname couldn't not be looked=
 up.  It was only using part of my hostname to be looked up.... =20
>How-To-Repeat:
run "make install" for the port of mysql322-server
>Fix:
 In the mysql_install_db code it says to do "hostname -s" when looking up t=
he hostname, I changed it to just "hostname" without the "-s" and the probl=
em was fixed eventhough I had to do some working around with the make insta=
ll b.c by re-running the "make install" it tries to reinstall the database =
and will overwrite the mysql_install_db file that was just edited.  Maybe t=
his is a probkem that should be reported to mysql and not freebsd, but here=
 you go. :)
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

i tried this myself but couldn't get it to work.  i could edit hostname -s =
to read hostname in mysql_install_db but i couldn't figure out how to get t=
he make install script to keep from overwriting the mysql_install_db file.

i'd like to install mysql323-server from ports, if at all possible, and i'v=
e talked to a lot of people who used ports to install it with no problems. =
 has anyone else had this problem? if so, how did you get around it.

thanks
redmond

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--