Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 02:55:45 -0500
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To:        The Unicorn <unicorn@blackhats.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup trouble

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 09:14:00AM +0200, The Unicorn wrote:

> > In any event, Mr. Unicorn[1], please avoid using cvs-committers@ as your
> > people who would like to help with these kinds of questions.
>
> This being  the exact kind of  mail why so many  potential users refrain
> from continuing to use FreeBSD as their Operating System triggered me to
> reply to  your message. Most of  them turning eventually to  Linux after
> getting a similar treatment from the  OpenBSD community. You do not even
> try to formulate a possible answer, but only tell people what not to do,
> and  reroute  the question  to  another  mailinglist, while  a  possible
> solution and a  reroute would be so much more  helpful. I might possibly
> use questions@freebsd.org in the future should another problem arise, so
> your hint has not been shouted at deaf ears.

You might? Maybe I should be more clear:

	DO NOT MAIL COMMITTERS OR ANY OF ITS ALIASES WITH YOUR FREEBSD PROBLEMS.

> I am  sorry to use the  cvs-commiters list as "my  personal help mailing
> list", but  in my reasoning it  does contain all cvs-committers  who are
> "responsible"  for creating  the problem  in  the first  place, so  what
> better way  than to ask for  a little help  at the source. I  might even
> learn  something in  the  process. Secondly  I did  try  to resolve  the
> problem before posting the message (I always do), but failed and at that
> time  I  could  not  find  a possible  solution  in,  to  me,  available
> resources.

Your reasoning is flawed. I could personally call up every committer on
the telephone and ask them if they know how to solve my problems but that
too would be as silly as mailing committers. There is an entire community
of people beyond committers a lot of whom are happy to help.

You can find the mailing list charters at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL

Since there have been mailing lists there have been mailing list charters.

So please:
	(a) use the appropriate FreeBSD mailing list according to the charters
or
	(b) do not use the FreeBSD mailing lists at all

> To answer your personal question. My  name is Hans Van de Looy, chairman
> of the Dutch FreeBSD User Group, trying to evangelize the use of FreeBSD
> (and OpenBSD  and NetBSD for  those platforms  not supported yet  by the
> FreeBSD product) in  the Netherlands (although we also  have people from
> Belgium joining  our events). I do  appreciate your work on  the FreeBSD
> product a lot, as I do everybody  elses work as well, but email messages
> like these do not make my "job" any easier. ;-)

This is all fine, except we prefer your real name be located in your mail headers.

Having to sift through questions from users on a closed list that is only
supposed to recieve e-mail that is required reading for FreeBSD developers
does not make my "job" easier either. Thankfully I'm right and you're wrong
so _you_ get to change _your_ behavior.

--
Bill Fumerola - security yahoo         / Yahoo! inc.
              - fumerola@yahoo-inc.com / billf@FreeBSD.org