Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:17:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        garyh@agora.rdrop.com (Gary Hanson)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Mersenne Primes

According to Gary Hanson:
> [Followups moved to chat.]

		[[ (chat): good! ]]

> Yup, but you don't have to dedicate a system to it; see below.
>
> > 	The last mersenne prime that I know of beind discovered was
> > 	done by Dave Slowinski at Cray Research in Chippewa Falls, WI.
>
> Yes, but there's another (smaller) one that's currently being verified.
>
> For full details on "The GREAT Internet Mersenne Prime Search," try:
>
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/justforfun/prime.htm

		I'm checking it out, thanks for the pointer.

> George Woltman has organized a group of people to search for Mersenne
> primes, and has written a very highly optimized program to do the work.
> Currently, over 290 people and 300 machines are searching. The core of
> the program is in assembler, and basically does fft's very fast. He has
> Pentium-optimzed versions of his program for WinNT, Win95, Win31(?) and
> Linux elf. The idea is to run the program in the backround, at the
> lowest possible priority, so that it'll only use otherwise idle cycles.
> I'd written to George to ask about doing a FreeBSD native port, but ran
> into elf-related stumbling blocks. It would be great for FreeBSD to have
> a native version, but neither George nor I can do that ourselves.
>
> BTW, I joined the hunt about two months ago, and my home system is
> currently searching using Win95. Just about the only time I ran FreeBSD
> at home recently was when I installed the "Special Collector's Edition"
> of 2.1.5 at the time of its' initial release. I'd really rather be running
> BSD while searching, rather than 95. :-(
>

>   --Gary Hanson

		This sound like great fun as well as being
		a good challenge for the teckkies among us.

		I guess it would be asking a bit much for a
		P5 to go up against an XMP (or whatever it was
		that Slowinski used).

		When you've finished the port, please let me
		know...  Or the entire list.

		gary

<><>

"Fornicate and take drugs against the terrible strain of idiots who govern
 the world."
         -- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology