Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:51:26 -0500
From:      Marca Registrada <inf@nyef.res.cmu.edu>
To:        hackers list FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Coda FS: FBSD port done!, but development favors Linux

Quoting Eivind Eklund (eivind@yes.no):
> It would take about 15 minutes to create this functionality, and it
> has been discussed before.  It has been decided against on the basis
> of security.  This break chroot() completely, and it break the
> protection you presently have when

[...]
> If this is what it takes to get Coda, I for one won't use it, but I
> can probably create and commit a kernel option that give the access
> methods so that others can.

 an inodefs is only necessary for a coda server, and only for the
partition on which the distributed files are kept.  I would say it shoudl
be made a totally separate fs, accessible via fopen() calls (I'm hoping
Linux-Coda does the same), and of course, the partition containing these
files shoudl be root-accessible only, and as there is no directory
strucutre on such a partition, only unbound inodes, standard unix tools,
such as ls, vi, will have no usability on such a partition, anyway.

In short, it's not that a Coda server needs to access files on the
'standard' filesystem via, inodes, but keeps track of it's internal files
via inodes, and keeps its own internal directory structure, so that namei
only gets in the way.

I should find out if there is a final proposal for how this should look to
the caller.

--

   - All we hear is internet gaagaa, internet googoo, internet gaagaa