Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 09:32:00 -0600
From:      Susie Ward <sward@voltage.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cyclades 32Ye problem solved

I've been trying to get a Cyclades 32Ye ISA card installed and working for
about two months now and I finally did it! Several people responded with
similar problems when I posted here for help, so I thought I'd let everyone
know what finally fixed it.

The problem was that the first 16 ports would work fine, but the second 16
wouldn't work at all. A friend of mine got a 32Ye and his worked perfect
without any problems. The only difference was that he had his set as cy2
since he was adding it to his system which already had 2 8Yo cards in it
and I was replacing my two 8Yo cards so mine was set as cy0. I had tried
*everything* else, so I decided to try putting in one of my 8Yo's as cy0
and setup the 32Ye as cy1 and guess what ... it worked!

On top of that I also had one defective card in the mix which made it even
harder to figure out. But the bottom line is for some reason the 32Ye will
*not* work as cy0 (at least it wouldn't with the two cards on the two
servers I tried it in). Only drawback is that you must have another
Cyclades card to put in as cy0, most of us who are upgrading to this
probably do though.

Someone who knows more about the cy driver and devices on FreeBSD will have
to look into the whys of this, but I'm assuming that it has something to do
with the differences in the devices when you make  ttyc0 and ttyc1 and up.
Some more testing may need to be done to ensure that this is in fact the
problem too since I did have a defective card which was part of the reason
things weren't working, but even the new card that is working now wouldn't
work as cy0, so I'm pretty sure that is what eventually solved this mess.

Anyone who has been having these problems, or who does have a 32Ye
installed and working, I'd love to hear your experiences too.

Susie Ward