Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:30:04 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Forrest Aldrich" <forrie@forrie.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: natd error message, upon bootup

Forrest,

I have seen the same happen with on-board Serial cards if the interface goes
down due to a line problem.

In other words, my natd interface is a Serial WAN card hooked directly to
the data line.  If the line goes down or flaps, then the interface goes
'down'.  Now, natd attempts to write out packets to that interface, but its
down, and hence the problem.

If you are seeing the message briefly just after start-up, perhaps the
problem is that your natd interface is taking some time to get 'up', and
natd has started trying to use it before it's up?

Patrick.