Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2013 07:26:26 -0600
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fwd: how to change from STABLE to RELEASE?

>> Give this a try
>>
>> setenv UNAME_r "9.0-RELEASE"
>> freebsd-update fetch update
>> freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.1-RELEASE
>
> Thank you very much!  It seems to be working:
>
> $ su -
> Password:
> %seten UNAME_r "9.0-RELEASE"
> seten: Command not found.
> %setenv UNAME_r "9.0-RELEASE"
> %freebsd-update fetch update
> usage: freebsd-update [options] command ... [path]

>   -b basedir   -- Operate on a system mounted at basedir
>                   (default: /)
>   -d workdir   -- Store working files in workdir
>                   (default: /var/db/freebsd-update/)
>   -f conffile  -- Read configuration options from conffile
>                   (default: /etc/freebsd-update.conf)
>   -k KEY       -- Trust an RSA key with SHA256 hash of KEY
>   -r release   -- Target for upgrade (e.g., 6.2-RELEASE)
>   -s server    -- Server from which to fetch updates
>                   (default: update.FreeBSD.org)
>   -t address   -- Mail output of cron command, if any, to address
>                   (default: root)
> Commands:
>   fetch        -- Fetch updates from server
>   cron         -- Sleep rand(3600) seconds, fetch updates, and send an
>                   email if updates were found
>   upgrade      -- Fetch upgrades to FreeBSD version specified via -r option
>   install      -- Install downloaded updates or upgrades
>   rollback     -- Uninstall most recently installed updates
>   IDS          -- Compare the system against an index of "known good" files.
> %freebsd-update fetch
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
> Fetching public key from update5.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.0-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Fetching 2 metadata files... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Preparing to download files...
>
> Will get back to see if it went through all the way!
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Antonio

Dear folks,

Everything almost worked.  Now I get some errors.
/etc/defaults/rc.conf:  18:  Syntax error:  redirection unexpected
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

I try to edit the file, but I cannot see it I get a readonly file
system.  There were some mistakes that I could not correct some lines
like <<<<<< and then ======= were present in the file, but vi could
not allow me to remove them I got error and I wanted to :wq! quickly
and now I cannot boot.  How can I get into the computer with
read/write permission to fix this one and a /boot/device.hints error
that is present here?

Thanks for any pointers and help/advice.

Regards,

Antonio

===========================

When I reboot I get:

Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
I press enter and try:

# mount -a
mount:  not found
# mount -urw /
mount:  not found
#

I try
# /rescue/vi /etc/defaults/rc.conf
which is the one that is borked, to fix it and remove the "<<<<" that
present in there, I get

ex/vi:  Error:  /var/tmp/vi.recover:  Read-only file sytem
ex/vi:  Modifications not recoverable if the session fails
ex/vi:  Error:  /etc/defaults/rc.conf:  Read-only file sytem
ex/vi:  Error:  Unable to create temporary file:  Read-only file system

I can boot the livedvd for FreeBSD 9.1 or 8.2/8.3 series as I have
them available.  There used to be the fixit command and I could use
it.  I try the advice in System Administration chapter of handbook,
but it does not work here :(

boot -s
mount -a
mount -urw /

as found in:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/faq/admin.html#rcconf-readonly

Words of advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated and would get
me to fix the mess that I started by myself :(

Regards,

Antonio