Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:00:25 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Barry Pederson <bpederson@geocities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.3-R: passwd dependencies

I believe that you will see this with certain combinations of Kerberos
components installed.  Sysinstall won't (can't) protect you from doing
silly things with those bits and pieces.

(IMO the Kerberos parts should not be so easy to install).

> Valentin Nechayev wrote:
> >
> > /usr/bin/passwd from bin packages of 3.3-RELEASE wants libraries:
> >         libkadm.so.3
> >         libkrb.so.3
> >         libdes.so.3
> >
> > Is it correct? ;(
>
> Could be..I've been having problems with that too.  Downloaded the
> 3.3-Release (gzipped) ISO Image last night, and even on a minimum
> install, the part where you are supposed to set the root password just
> blows by, but when you create an additional user, everything works ok.
>
> When the system boots up for the first time, root has no passwd, and the
> passwd command gives an error saying either libkadm or libkrb as
> mentioned above is missing.   Logging in as the additional user created
> at startup works fine, but when you try to do a "su", you get an error
> saying libkadm or libkrb is missing (passwd bitches about one of them,
> su the other, I don't recall offhand which is which).
>
> Something is definitely goofed there, or the install lets you setup a
> goofed system.
>
> 	Barry

\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
\\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com