Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 01:33:59 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.local vs. /usr/local/etc/rc.d vs. ???

On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 03:16:28PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> Maybe I need to rent a clue....
>
> I just replaced our main NFS server with one ruuning FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE.
> (Old machine had been running 2.1.0-RELEASE.)
>
> This particular machine was also running a couple of other things -- a
> Web server & a samba server.
>
> Now, we use /usr/local for site-specific (vs. machine-specific) things.
>
> This machine exports a filesystem that most machines import as /usr/local.
>
> We also would like to use programs &c. that are on this filesystem from
> this machine's /usr/local; therefore, that filesystem also appears on
> this machine as /usr/local.
>
> However, if I put the initialization stuff for the machine-specific
> servers in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, every machine on the net sees that,
> and tries to start them up at boot time.
>
> This really is not what I'd prefer to do.
>
> So, for now, I've gone back to the (deprecated) /etc/rc.local for this
> purpose.
>
> Suggestions for ways to do this that are likely to work while keeping
> some reasonable semblance of conformity to rational expectations of
> How Things Ought To Be Done would be most welcome.

I have an idea!
Change your rc.conf files:

local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d /usr/local/etc/rc.d/${hostname} /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d"

Then put the staff that should be started on each machine in rc.d directory,
and put the staff for machine myname.my.domain into rc.d/myname.my.domain.

Regards,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          System Administrator
ru@ucb.crimea.ua        United Commercial Bank