Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:36:25 -0500
From:      Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <philip@eilio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Motherboard survey...

Philip Hallstrom wrote:

>> On Nov 21, 2003, at 9:53 AM, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all -
>> >
>> > So... I wrote a survey app that I'm hoping lots of you will fill out.
>> > It let's you pick the brand/model of motherboard, then indicate what
>> > onboard features work (lan, audio, video, usb, firewire, ide, sata,
>> > scsi, raid, smp), lets you provide some overall "satisfaction"
>> > ratings, and then provide any additional comments.
>> >
>> > As a side effect you can input your laptop information which seems to
>> > be a frequently asked source of questions.
>> >
>> > If I get enough responses I'd like to expand this to include other
>> > things such as DVD players, USB peripherals, etc. that have varying
>> > levels of support in FreeBSD.  Perhaps turn it into a companion to the
>> > HARDWARE.TXT document...
>> >
>> > Anyway.. here it is:
>> >
>> > http://www.eilio.com/freebsd-motherboards/
>> >

>> This is very nice, and I think it will be helpful to a lot of people
>> who want to move to FreeBSD. I especially like the idea of laptop users
>> being able to contribute. This is a topic that has come up many times
>> on the mobile@ list and I think a structured form where components can
>> be detailed (works/broken) is a great idea.
>
> I'm glad you like it.  And thanks for cc'ing the mobile group.  Completely
> spaced on that.
>
> If any of you have any comments on other features you'd like to see
> (infrared just came to mind) please by all means send me an email with
> your thoughts.

- On-board modem
- On-board WLAN
- On-board gigabit ethernet
- On-board Bluetooth

And also, it'd be nice to be able to go back and review for 4.x. I posted for
5.x and it wouldn't take another post for 4.x.

An 'unknown' option between 'working' and 'broken' would be nice too.
Many people don't have any way to test things like on-board firewire, but
that doesn't necessarily mean it's broken.

And also keep in mind that their is already a FreeBSD laptop database, so
maybe you should restrict posts to non-laptop motherboards:

http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops/

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,