Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 00:04:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Henry Miller <hank@black-hole.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crash: Fatal trap 12

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:

> This seems quite a bit like my current problems, I've noticed only very
> recently, and with no real regularity. My uptime just won't exceed 1 or 2
> days, usually, beacuse I'll get a lockup. It happenes doing different
> things. This morning, it locked up after switching from vty0 to X, solid,
> no panic or trap... It crashed ~2 days ago when grepping stuff in /tmp. I

Same thing just happened to me.  I've just gone to SMP, (new computer, so
I don't have much previous expirence) My brother went down, loged in, and
started x (by login script) and the monitor cam up with sync out of range.

>From a seperate comptuer I was unable to ping it, and nfs mounted file
systems couldn't be read.  num-lock on the keyboard didn't light up.
After a hard power up, nothing was in /var/log that I could find.

I'm not willing to say this is the same problem, though I'm hoping I can
repeat it somehow and give more info.  Until now I only send it to alert
that there probably are problems serious enough to warent delaying the
release of 3.0 (assuming that current becomes 3.0, but I'm new to freebsd
so I don't know how that all works)

oh, and I have an on motherboard Adaptec scsi contoroller that I boot
from. (since it seems scsi disks are in common, but this could easially be
a concidence)

PS, your welcome to contact me if you want me to give more info, My day
job was alpha test, so I am used to trying to repeat the unrepeatable over
and over again.

--
      http://blugill.home.ml.org/
      hank@black-hole.com