Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 18:10:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        n@nectar.com
Cc:        mcgovern@spoon.beta.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O_SHLOCK and O_EXLOCK during open... (locking for devices?)

>> O_SHLOCK and O_EXLOCK are advisory, not mandatory.  In other words,
>> the apps are going to ignore them anyway.  Lock files are the way to
>> go.
> Huh?
> Sure, O_SHLOCK and O_EXLOCK are advisory, but so are lock files.
> Applications are free to ignore any of them.

I didn't mean to imply that lockfiles are mandatory.  I meant that
they are the recommended locking mechanism, since both are advisory
anyway.

All apps running now are pretty well guaranteed to not use flock.
This is based on the fact that it doesn't work.  A programmer being
cautious enough to use flock would likely use uu lockfiles.  So, use
lockfiles so you can work with more apps.

Best,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan