Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 10:53:52 -0400
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Jim Cassata <jim@web-ex.com>
Subject:   Re: xntpd

On Sun, Oct 11, 1998 at 09:49:47PM +0800, Dean Hollister wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Norman C Rice wrote:
>
> > If you created the drift file, delete it and restart xntpd so it can create
> > the drift file when it's ready too -- have patience. Apparently, xntpd expects
> > the drift file to contain valid data if it exists.
>
> I found xntpd would not start if the drift file did not exist. So, I just
> touched it (meant is was 0b length), then started xntpd. No problems
> thereafter.

My experience is definitely different from yours. I have found
xntpd spewing the ``drift value xxx invalid'' message into the
log file when an empty drift file existed, where `xxx' was garbage.
I believe that this comes from ntp_util.c where xntpd is attempting
to extract the frequency and mode from the drift file. The fscanf
call returns -1 and atolfp is called with buf uninitialized.

IIRC, a significant period of time elapsed before the drift file
was created.
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.