Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 16:07:39 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

> > I never thought of that, I have run X11R6 on my 1.1.5.1 boxes since
> > I first brought them up.  Probably not... all I can say is try it
> > and see.  Would the first person to answer this question please
> > post results?
>
> No, it doesn't work.
>
> Time to see what happens when you run an X11R5 and an X11R6 server concurrently.

What about it doesn't work?

If Motif is the only library that's statically linked then you still need
to arrange for the other R6 shared libs to be resolved at run-time. Unless
you install the R6 libraries an application linked against them won't
work with the R5 libraries because the library major versions changed.
If you install the R6 libraries somewhere besides /usr/X386/lib then
make certain that you rerun ldconfig, and don't forget to update your
/etc/rc.local file so that ldconfig does the right thing the next time
you reboot. Non-root users can also use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variable to help the run-time loader find new libraries in "non-standard"
locations until the sysadmin reruns ldconfig.

I know no one would say something silly like R6 apps can't run with an
R5 server.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY