Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:45:25 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu (Gary Schrock), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

> > would immediately unsubscribe to any isp that decided this was acceptable
> > behavior on their part.

I agree.

> Your work also has a serious security concern if it allows this you to
> directly attatch to it's port 25.

No it doesn't, but you do bring up another good point why not to use the
ISP's mail server.  Security.  I don't want email to bounce on your box
and potentially give the ISP's postmaster information they shouldn't be
having.  (Including email about us switching ISP's because we hate their
email policy. :)

Yes, our ISP *could* sniff packets are read our email if they wanted,
but it would be a breach of contract for them to do so.

Basically, I think not allowing ISP's to allow the Dialup lines to
forward email as a good thing, but for them to limit was businesses do
with their IP traffic is simply too big brother'ish, no matter what
their contract states.

I'm as much at risk (or more) from spammers that abuse my mail host as
they are, so it behooves me to setup my mail machine (and network) to
'Do The Right Thing'.  Rather than ISP's blocking email, they should
instead be working with their customers to provide them with expertise
on how to setup a working/usable mail server.

Nate