Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:11:34 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        Baety Wayne Amn 18CS/SCBD <Wayne.Baety@kadena.af.mil>, "'FreeBSD Current'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CAM

Baety Wayne Amn 18CS/SCBD:
 |Where's documentation on properly configuring a kernel for use with this new
 |CAM SCSI subsystem.  I have a Mylex DAC960PL (uses Symbios 53C720SE
 |controller) and am wondering how to enable it in the kernel.

I asked for that a week or so ago, and didn't get any response.  So I don't
know if there are any such docs.  For example, CAM is in 3.0-RELEASE, and
there's really nothing on it in the handbook or FAQ.  There is cam(3),
pass(4), and xpt(4), but that isn't really a how-to.

My limited understanding is that if you're running a CAM-enabled kernel,
CAM is just "there".  My original pre-CAM SCSI-related kernel lines flew
with a CAM kernel with no change except "sd" disks are now "da" disks:

    controller   ncr0
    controller   scbus0 at ncr0                     # Single bus device
    disk         cd0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0      # SCSI CD-ROM
    device       sa0 at scbus0 target 4 unit 0      # SCSI tapes
    disk         da0 at scbus0 target 5 unit 0      # da0 = ZIP Drive

There's this new concept of a pass-through device (/dev/pass*) which I'm
not too sure about; these are doled out to detected SCSI devices.  And
there's a TLI device (/dev/xpt*) which I think is allocated 1 per bus.

In addition to the above lines, I also added a wired-down pass0 so I
could configure SANE to find my scanner consistently.  I also wired down my
CDRW, though I don't know if that's necessary or not:

    device       pass0 at scbus0 target 6 unit 0    # CAM passthrough = Scanner
    device       pass1 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0    # RICOH MP6200S CDRW

SCSI bus rescans and lists are much simpler with CAM (from a user's
perpective at least):

    camcontrol rescan 0
    camcontrol devlist

That's about all I know at this point.