Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2019 18:42:56 +0100
From:      Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   armv6 packages for 12-STABLE broken

Hi,

After having tried a variety of -11 and -12 versions for my i2c
"issue", I decided to stick with the latest armv6-RPI-snapshot
FreeBSD-12.0-STABLE-arm-armv6-RPI-B-20190103-r342709.img.xz. But this
turned out to be a mistake when I tried to install some packages (and
for the record I think it's just amazing that we even *have* packages
for ARM:-).

I triggered installation of 'pkg' itself with a 'pkg info', and after
confirmation it was fetched from
pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:armv6/latest - version 1.10.5_3,
and it failed because it required libssl.so.8 which wasn't found. That
'pkg' was still installed though - thus no more package installation
on that system.:-)

AFAIK libssl.so.8 is from OpenSSL-1.0.2, while FreeBSD-12 has
libssl.so.111, from OpenSSL-1.1.1, so it seems clear that
pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:armv6/latest is not usable for
any FreeBSD-12. Whether 12-STABLE should actually use .../quarterly
like 12-RELEASE does (and it seems to work fine for 12-RELEASE) I
don't know, but either way it seems pointless to provide the unusable
.../latest.

Should I pass this info to some other forum, given that AFAIU this ML
is for FreeBSD "core" on ARM?

--Per Hedeland