Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@buug.homeip.net>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ethereal port not building

Hello,

I'm having some problems building the latest Ethereal port.  It's pretty
much dying at some point having to do with mergecap.1 or something. This
is Ethereal version 0.8.19 found in the ports tree.

I cvsup my ports tree when I add new software so I know my ports are
up-to-date. Also, my FreeBSD version is: FreeBSD bsd.ircla.intexcorp.com
4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001
jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386.

I'm pretty sure I have all the required dependencies considering that I
had the previous version of Ethereal installed.  Basically, I tried to
update my Ethereal port using the "pkg_version -vcl '<' > upgrade.sh"
method (of course, also editing the resulting file to only build
ethereal).

My guess is that there's something wrong with the ethereal port, and I'm
wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem.  If there's nothing
wrong, then I'm wondering what might be going on wrong in my build.

I have the output of the build attempt in case that information is needed
to debug what went wrong.  If it's needed then I'll glady send it in a
post or attachment.  At this point, I'm not sure what other information
you might need to help debug the problem but let me know and I'll fill you
in.

Thanks,

Joey

PS  Please cc to me considering that I'm not on this list.