Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:01:25 +0100
From:      "Merijn Verstraaten" <merijn@inconsistent.nl>
To:        "Nick Dalsheimer" <nick.dalsheimer@gmail.com>, freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnet flag?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:14:49 +0100, Nick Dalsheimer
<nick.dalsheimer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> Whenever I specify
>      jail_jailname_flags="vnet"
> in /etc/rc.conf, and then run "/etc/rc.d/jail start" as root, I always
> get an error like this:
>
>    Configuring jails:.
>    Starting jails: cannot start jail "jailname":
>    But it doesn't look like one.
>    .
>
> and it exits without starting the jail. If I remove the vnet option,
> everything runs as planned. What am I doing wrong?

Vnet requires you to use the new -c syntax to create jails rather then the
old syntax currently in use by rc.d/jail. I have a half done patch to make
rc.d/jail use the new syntax and some other stuff which I intend to finish
after my exams this week. I looked if I could quickly distill something
useful from the changes I was testing, but that didn't pan out. You could
try using "-c vnet" in flags, but I don't think it'll work (since I don't
think you can combine the new and the old syntax). As a last resort you
could jury rig the jail call in rc.d/jail to use the new syntax (line
638-ish in 8.0-R-p1), how much work that is depends on whether you need
IPv6, etc. and whether you want ALL jails to use vnet or not.

Kind regards,
Merijn Verstraaten