Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:16:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   [stable] Re: Freebsd vs. UPS

>>>>> "Matt" == Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET> writes:

Matt> I have to agree with you totally. We have a Powerware 5119RM
Matt> here and as far as Price:BackupTime goes, it beats APC hands
Matt> down. I'm also very happy with it's quality. I have not found
Matt> software to talk to it yet, but we still like it much more than
Matt> APC.

Matt> Note: The Poweware 5119RM was a replacement to an APC that broke
Matt> after 1.5 years of usage.

I've got a few of the Powerware... both RackMount and regular.  I've
found them to be dependable and cost effective.  They come with
software for Linux that I havn't been able to get running.

I contacted Powerware's technical support and they agreed to release
their communications protocol under NDA to me, but then they never
followed up with sending me the NDA (and I got busy with other
things).

The 9 pin connector on the back is _not_ serial.  It does provide
serial ... but not on the normal pins.  There are also pins in that
connector that provide simple information through contacts.  I havn't
tried to interface to that yet, but hooking it up to a serial port's
ring signal may give some basic information for cheap.

I also considered firing up the linux version on a linux box (or
inside VMWare) and watching the output, but again... i've been busy.

Dave.